Environmental Education: IFS interns supplements the group leader's knowledge with local site information and topical lectures. The level of assistance with educational programming will vary according to the group leader’s expertise and experience. Interns should be prepared to act as a naturalist with a general knowledge of all of the terrestrial and marine ecosystems of Andros.
Trip Facilitation: IFS interns members are expected to stay in close contact with the group leader, transport the group to their desired sites, and monitor the group's safety while doing so.
Field Station Operations: There are daily, weekly, and monthly tasks to be completed to maintain full operation of the field station. Each intern will be involved to varying degrees with the daily tasks, such as interacting with the guests, manning the lodge, running errands, unloading shipments, communicating with the office in Columbus, Ohio, and other duties as necessary.
Maintenance: All interns participate in maintenance and repair of the vehicles, boats, buildings, other equipment, landscaping and other facilities tasks as needed.
Divemaster: Working as a divemaster when required as we certify new open water and advanced open water divers.
• PADI certified Divemaster
• Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Education, Marine Biology, Ecology, Fisheries, Botany, Geology, Environmental Biology, or similar science or education major
• Experience with spearfishing, snorkeling, kayaking, lifeguarding, and/or driving boats
• Experience with facilitation and leading trips
• Experience creating and presenting educational programming (middle school to adult audiences a plus)
• Key personality traits include: ability to live and work in a small group environment with limited personal space in rustic and rural conditions, flexible and adaptable, responsible and safety conscious, relatable and personable with students/group leaders/visitors/locals, a team player with a good work ethic
• Must have a valid Driver’s License and be comfortable driving large vans on unpaved, rural roads
• Must consent to and pass a Background Check
• Physical requirements: Must be able to and desire to spend time diving, snorkeling, or drive boats for up to 8 hours a day, must be able to climb up and down ladders, must be able to lift 50 lbs, and must be able to drive a van for up to 1.5 hours at a time